New Year's Resolution Mechanic

Prismatic Wasteland has issued a challenge! Here it is: "In January 2024, come up with a new resolution mechanic for a TTRPG and give it a name."

So far, my favorite's Davy Jones Bidding, by the Illusory Sensorium (insanely cool blog title by the way). Go check it out!

Now, for my mechanic:

D6 Tokens

Each character starts the game with X [1] tokens and Y [2] skills.

When faced with a challenge, you may spend 2 tokens to overcome it. If you have a relevant skill, spend 1 less token. If you lack the necessary gear, spend 1 more token. Nearby friends can spend up to 1 token each in your place, but will join in the suffering of any mishaps involved.

Roll a number of d6 equal to the tokens you spent.
  • If any of the dice show a 6, there is a mishap! Something goes wrong, but you still succeed.
  • If all dice roll 1s or 2s, there is an opportunity. Your character succeeds with added effect, new information, or gains back a token.
 
[1] I haven't decided how many tokens a character should start with, or how they might be replenished. In the example below the characters talk about replenishing tokens by resting. Personally, I think it would be cool if characters replenished tokens through tone based, diegetic triggers (like eating a meal with friends in a cozier game). See this Dreaming Dragonslayer post for more stuff like that. Alternatively, characters might earn tokens by fulfilling archetype-based triggers, like sulk in the wild for rangers or study magical secrets for wizards. These archetype-based goals could get players to split up and "do their thing" in town, which is a trope I love.
 
[2] Similarly, I haven't decided on how I want skills to be decided or distributed. But that's a later problem, and not a particularly interesting one in my opinion. 

The Math

I did some math to figure out what the chances of mishaps and opportunities would be. I would put that info in a table, but my blog's being weird and table's aren't working, so I'll just write it out.

Chance of Mishaps (numbers equal tokens spent)
  • 1 token --> 17%
  • 2 tokens --> 31%
  • 3 tokens --> 70%
 
Chance of Opportunities
  • 1 token --> 33%
  • 2 tokens --> 11%
  • 3 tokens --> 4%
 

Example

Assume Riya is a ranger (in a high fantasy setting) with 4 tokens remaining, and skills in acrobatics and hunting. Adventuring with her is William, a bookish wizard with 1 token and skills in monster lore and alchemy. They are coming up to a bridge.
 
GM: In front of you is a large stone bridge, arching over a rushing river far below and leading further into the forest. At its center, the bridge has collapsed somewhat, and seems very unsteady.
 
Riya: How bad could it be? I'll run ahead.
 
GM: As you run across, the stones beneath you give way, and crumble, falling down into the river where they splash violently. You're going to need to spend some tokens if you want to get out of this challenge.
 
Riya: Ah shoot, I don't have many left. I have a skill in acrobatics, so I'll only need to spend one, and I really don't want to fall into that gorge. I'll do it!
 
Riya marks off a token on her character sheet and rolls a d6. It comes up a 3.

GM: Awesome. Your ranger, sensing the rocks shifting underfoot, manages the leap across just as they fall. You make it to the other side safely.
 
William: Uhh, Riya? I don't think I can make it. I've only got one token left.
 
Riya: We really should've rested at that inn earlier. Alright, well, I've got 3, so how about I spend one to grab you as you come across?
 
William nods, writes off a token (as does Riya), and rolls 2d6. They come up 4 and 1.

GM: Looks like you make it too. You leap across, and catch Riya's arm on the other side. She'll be able to pull you up and back onto the sturdy end of the bridge.
 
 
 
Let me know what you think! Personally I like it, and can see it used in a fairly rules-light game. I might flesh it out more later, we'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Jangli Playtest is Out!

Oriental Adventures is Western Fantasy